DON’T SIGN AWAY
YOUR PARENTAL RIGHTS!
Say NO to the Referendum Petition
In February, the Utah Legislature passed and Governor Jon Huntsman signed into law House Bill 148, the Parent Choice in Education Act. They believe this voucher program will provide valuable options to parents whose children aren’t succeeding in public schools. Equally important to them was a program that would not harm public education, and in fact, benefit public education.
BENEFITS OF PARENTAL CHOICE
1. Give parents more options to find the school that’s BEST for their family.
2. Leave more money for fewer students in the public school system. (a 2004 USU study showed a similar program would save the state over $1 BILLION in 13 years)
3. Make schools more accountable because they’ll have to answer to PARENTS & not just bureaucrats.
WHO’S BEHIND THIS ATTACK?
The aggressive drive to repeal the voucher program is led by the same groups who have always opposed parent-empowering reforms such as charter schools, tuition-tax credits, and performance pay for teachers. These groups include:
- The national teachers union, the NEA
- The Utah affiliate of the national teachers union, the UEA
- The Utah Democratic Party
- Other groups who support the education establishment and the status quo
No one should find this any more surprising than buggy manufacturers opposing Henry Ford.
WHY DO THEY OPPOSE PARENTAL CHOICE?
They say that vouchers will take money from public education.
Let’s take a look: The Legislature appropriated $9.2 million for the voucher program. They also appropriated $3.5 BILLION for public education. The public education system in Utah spends more than twice the amount allocated for vouchers every school day. Not only that, but vouchers allow the state to educate a child at 1/3 the cost of what would be spent on that same child in the public schools.
MAKE NO MISTAKE: THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY. IT’S ABOUT THE EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENT (DOMINATED BY A BIG UNION) MAINTAINING ABSOLUTE CONTROL OF A MONOPOLY. The $500 million in incremental funding the legislature provided for education this year is not as important as protecting that monopoly.
The Union extends the claim by saying that public dollars should not be used for private institutions. But wait a minute; can food stamps only be used in government grocery stores? Can Medicaid and Medicare benefits only be used in government hospitals? Once again their rhetoric reveals their real interest: retaining control of a monopoly.
WHO SUPPORTS INCREASED PARENTAL CHOICE?
We believe parents, not unions and bureaucrats, should have greater say in the education of our children. And we’re not the only ones – school choice is supported by the likes of Governor Huntsman, President Bush, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, and Ronald Reagan.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO STOP THIS ATTACK ON PARENTAL CHOICE IN EDUCATION:
- Don’t sign the petition.
- Forward this email to everyone you know.
- Print off this flyer and distribute it in your neighborhood and your kids’ schools. http://www.choiceineducation.org/documents/Anti-PetitionFlyer.pdf
- REPORT ANY PETITION SIGNING ACTIVITIES THAT USE PUBLIC SCHOOL RESOURCES by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (801) 532-1448.